Monday, April 20, 2009

the Word is alive, and it cuts like a sword through the darkness...

I'm at work this morning, but for whatever reason I feel like this is more imperative than actually working. Maybe I just want that to be the case ;)

Well girls. It's been an interesting weekend for me. Frankly, I can't explain it publicly like this, but wow. I've just been thrown into a situation I never thought I'd be in, and need some major prayer if you girls think of it. I'm stressed out to the max, no longer with school really, just with this other life problem. Sorry to turn this blog into lists of urgent prayer requests, but it seems that I'm typically doing worse rather than better. Why is that? Why is it that have this inability to be joyful in situations and trust in God with them with a peaceful and content spirit? I get this overwhelming sense of a swell in irony whenever I read my email address and think "consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance..." because I love this verse and I'd like for it to characterize me, but when a problem arises, I almost exclusively do the opposite and consider pure chaos, stress and disaster when I face trials. Funny how God has given me that verse as a sort of life verse when I suck so much at adhering to it. Fitting, really.

Heather, I know what you mean about selfishness. Boy, do I know. I always kind of lump that together with pride, and I've been saying for about 3 years that I'm basically certain that pride is really the root of every sin committed. It's a small wonder, then, that each of us struggles with this in some form or another. Ha, I am putting this in a "the world's inherently sinful" manner, aren't I? Sorry for that.
Hannah Grace, you can do it girl. Just keep telling yourself that summer break is a week away--that worked for spring break, right? ;) I'm right there with you though. This year and most of what came with it needs to be over. Thank the Lord we're close.
Kate - I'd say it's about time I called you...

Until then, I hope to all talk to you via phone at least. (This weekend was not a great one for returning phone calls.) Also until then, I plan to spend more time in the Word, which has become more of a book of bedtime stories to me than a sword. You know, in church we looked at the armor Paul writes about in Ephesians and I realized the Word of God is the ONLY thing there that is given to us as a weapon. It is the only way we can fight offensively against sin. So I've been thinking, "wow. What the heck have I been doing all these years?" So I'm planning to put scripture to memory again. If any of you want to join me, let me know. I'd love to work on that with you all.

Sorry to talk forever again. I love you women (I almost said girls, but you really are not girls anymore) so much and literally thank God for you daily. I can't express how grateful I am for each of you.

In Christ's Infinite Grace,
Elisa

No comments: