Thursday, April 23, 2009

Do they sell money trees on ebay?

Big, scary news for Heather. I just got a call from my parents informing me that as of next January, I will officially no longer be a dependent. Meaning that as soon as I finish my last class next J-term, I have to get my own medical insurance. Meaning that...I have to GROW UP and get a BIG-GIRL JOB! :O That just freaks me out. I don't want to be a big girl yet. Maybe I should just stay in school f.o.r.e.v.e.r.
Or not.

I've been looking at a lot of different volunteer abroad organizations, and they all seem so exciting! The most recent one I've been looking at is called World Teach, and it's located in a variety of countries (about 4 are Spanish-speaking). I would be teaching English language classes to kids or adults, and the commitment is about 11 months. This organization is great, because you just have to pay one initial fee and it covers airfare, housing, food, and...MEDICAL INSURANCE! Plus they give you a monthly stipend for living expenses. Out of those programs, the one I like the best is located in Colombia and it only costs $1000, which if you think about it -is a really great deal for a whole year. :)

I will admit, a part of me is hoping that this internship at The City Mission this summer (did I mention this to all of you yet?) will give me some direction about what I could do after graduation. I already know that assessment and developing surveys is something I like to do (yes, I know how nerdy that is), and I think an ideal job for me would be to work for a NPO like The City Mission. The only problem is that places like that aren't exactly growing money trees in their basements, and I don't think many of them could afford to pay me to assess their programs. But at least I will be able to test it out this summer and see if I like working in that kind of environment. Lisey, I owe your dad big time for this internship. It's making me actually look forward to the summer! Finally.

Katesters, I wish I could come home again to see you before you leave for Italia, but it looks like that won't be happening. :( But we will for sure need to have some phone chats before then. Twin, I've been thinking about you especially this week and I'm praying for you, chica. Lisey, it's been too long, so call me this weekend! I feel a little out of the loop. Actually, that goes for all of you -- I'm just chilling this weekend and I would love to hear from you!

Buenos noches, hermanas.

In His Hands,
Heather Grace

No comments: