Monday, April 27, 2009

Summer Lovin?

I must admit, all this talk of summertime is making me antsy. I realized that I still have a month left until I am home for good, and that month is sounding longer and longer! It's not that I have that much to do in the next month, but each day is taking forever (especially with this beautiful weather) - and it's hard to hear that Lisey gets out in two weeks! I'm jealous. For some reason, I feel like there is so much distance between now and freedom, and I'm starting to idolize the summer. Unfortunately, I really won't have that much freedom, because I will be busy about 6 days a week. I know, I know - I totally brought that on myself by over-scheduling myself, but I was afraid I would be so bored without you ladies. Hopefully, I won't go crazy with my internship 3 days a week, nannying 1 day, bartending 2-3 nights, and taking a class on top of it all. Whew. On a positive note, I just bought MegaBus tickets for a trip to Minnesota in the beginning of August. I thought I deserved a little trip by myself to relax and have fun with some friends I haven't seen in awhile. There is a little more to that story that I will have to tell you about in person...:)
Anyway, I wish there was a way that we could all get together before Katie takes off. I'm really bummed that I won't be able to come home before school gets out. Is there any way we can plan a weekend or something for the end of the summer? Or maybe even once school has started next year? Wow, I can't believe I'm already talking about next semester. That seems so far away! By then, I'll be living in an apartment, taking only a few classes, and working my butt off to make some money! Sweet. It also means that I will be only a few months away from GRADUATING. Ahh. Okay, that's enough talk of that.
Have any of you heard of the book The Irresistible Revolution? I just started reading it. It's by this guy named Shane Claiborne (http://www.thesimpleway.org/shane/ don't be turned off by his picture, he looks pretty freaky here), who actually came to talk at Taylor tonight. If you haven't heard of him, you should definitely look him up. He calls himself an "ordinary radical" which he defines in the book, but basically he believes that following Jesus means living with the homeless and broken people and loving them by coming alongside them, not just giving them money from afar. He talks a lot about the church and ways that God can use you despite the problems with the American Church today. It's a lot more than that, but I'm just summarizing here. Anyway, I really enjoyed listening to his stories, and I'm really excited about reading his book. I feel like he's pretty much putting something that I have felt my whole life into writing.

Well, I better get back to watching my Spanish soap operas for class - no joke.
I love you, sisters.

Heather Grace

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A friend lent me The Irresistible Revolution a while ago, and I still haven't finished it. But yeah, it is kind of cool. If I get to go to Urbana this year, he is a speaker there, I believe, so I'll get to hear him speak as well!
And Heathie, that month will go so much faster than you think. ^-^
And we should have a phone date for sometime next saturday. I'm on duty all day and night, and would love someone to talk to!