Monday, July 20, 2009

A walk down memory lane, among other things

I've been thinking a lot about the future lately. In fact, with almost every conversation I have had in the past week, the future seems to be a hot topic. Why is that? Why am I constantly struggling to focus on the present and just enjoy the day that God has given me? My summer is zooming (is that a word?) by, and I don't think I have taken one day to just sit still and BE. To RELAX. Where did those kind of summers go? You know, the ones when I would wake up in the morning not knowing what the day would hold and spend every night with friends asking ourselves, "What do you want to do? I don't know...what do you want to do? Let's go to the beach!" :) I keep remembering the first summer that Elisa and I were friends (also the summer of love for her and Matt...and I guess for me, too), FIVE years ago! That was the ideal summer. There were about 6 of us who spent every day together and yet every day was fun, because none of us had jobs. It was also the first summer I had my driver's license, so the world was pretty much at our feet. What a great summer...Okay, sorry about that trip down memory lane, sometimes it just happens. I guess I am just missing that feeling of being un-scheduled and free. I looked at my calendar last night for the rest of the summer and got really depressed. First of all, there are very few weeks left before I go back to school. And second, I have something planned almost every day until I leave. Don't misunderstand me, most of my plans are by choice and it isn't like I am being forced to do anything. I think I am a little angry at myself for being such a planner. It's like I can't allow myself to have a day without official plans (be it work or play), because then I would have "no life." A lot of that is just my personality and the way I am wired (and maybe the way I was raised), but at this point in the summer, it is frustrating. Katie is back now and Elisa will come back fairly soon, but I don't even have a lot of time to spend with them! It makes me very sad. Another thing: this is pretty much my last real summer. And I think I was busier this summer than I was during the past school year. How the heck did that happen? I need to make some hippie friends that will rub off on me and help me to break out of this constant "to-do list" mindset. Hannah, where are you when I need you? ;)

On a happier note, I went to a wedding in Indiana this past weekend and it was a blast! I stayed at a good friend's house and I got to see a ton of girls from Taylor who I wasn't expecting to see. It was really encouraging to catch up with everyone and just to be reminded of how wonderful my college friends are (not to say that you ladies aren't wonderful!). I have just met so many great women at Taylor, and even for those who I'm not as close with - I love spending time with them. Plus, it was a wedding so, of course, I got to DANCE!! And anyone who knows me knows how much I love to dance, but since dancing isn't quite allowed at Taylor...let's just say that some of those Taylor boys were not prepared for the experience of Heather on a dance floor. SO much fun! :D (and also made me miss our beadybeady dance parties...)

Alright, well I need to get back to work. Katie, I can't wait to see you - TONIGHT!! Twin, I've been thinking about you a lot lately. You are in my prayers, chica. Oh and did you get my FB message a couple days ago? Lisey, I've been thinking about you, too. Call me this week or I will call you. Let me know how that Everything skit goes! I love you, my sisters. I am so thankful that you are in my life!

Siempre,
Heather Grace

No comments: