Sunday, July 12, 2009

Here I am with open ears, open heart.

Buenos tardes, mis amigas!
Man, it is good to hear from you two. I had a wonderful conversation with Lisey yesterday, but Hannah, it just seems like forever since we have talked. I miss you mucho. And Katie, I get to see you very, very soon! :)

Well, it sounds like God is using this summer to speak to all of us in a very similar way, just in very different places. I completely feel you, Lise, on your entire post. I know I've mentioned this before, since I've been feeling like this for the past few months, but God is definitely pulling me in a scary direction - far out of my comfort zone. I think I am slowly getting more familiar with the idea, but that doesn't make it any less scary. Working at The City Mission this summer has given me a ton of new ideas for the type of setting where I want to work after graduation. I have been getting really passionate about homelessness and poverty, abroad and in the US, but I didn't really know where I could direct that passion in a useful way. I was starting to just feel so overwhelmed and upset with people who have tons of money and spend it on (what I perceive as) meaningless things, when there are so many people who are homeless, jobless, and hungry. Especially from reading that book, The Irresistible Revolution, I've been learning a lot about homelessness in America, but I was feeling a little like...what now? Well, apparently there are a LOT of people who feel the same way I do. And fortunately, they are much wiser than I, which led to the idea of a rescue mission. More than just giving someone shelter for the night, these missions try to get to the root of the problem and then work with people to help make them self sufficient (and encourage them spiritually as well). Man, what a fantastic idea! I'm just so glad that I am learning about these organizations and feeling called in a more specific direction. I am even realizing that there is a way for me to combine all of my passions (psychology, research, & Spanish) to help people. And why not? God made me this way for reason, and it would just be selfish for me to keep my gifts to myself, or not to develop them at all.

Another thing I am realizing this summer is that I am going through a bit of a rebellious period in my life. I know that slightly contradicts what I was just saying, but I think the rebelliousness is more behavior-related than mindset-related. Does that make sense? I don't want to get into too many details on here, but I could use some prayer if you think of it. It's not anything too extreme, but I guess I am just trying to work out where I stand on certain issues and what the Bible actually says about them.

Well, I have to go off to work. I love you all to pieces, and just know that you are in my thoughts and prayers!

No comments: