Sunday, June 14, 2009

Still a little bitter, but I can't help but love you!

Hello my world-traveling sisters! I am now officially the only beady beady left in the United States. :( But alas, I'm sure that God will use this time to stretch me and maybe teach me a few lessons the hard way. You know - those ones where God kind of knocks you in the head and says, "Hello! Where have you been? I've just been sitting here waiting for you to realize how much you need me." Yeah, I think I'm in need of one of those. Do you know I haven't even been home for a whole month yet? It seems pretty strange, because I'm already so stuck in a routine that it feels like it's been going on for awhile! I'm not complaining, I'm actually really enjoying my summer - it's just sad that I won't be able to spend any more time with you all. Well, I guess I have a few days with Elisa when she gets back from Europe, but I know I'll be fighting Matt for her. :)

So since work is all I have been doing, it's time for another update. I am still loving my City Mission internship: the work, the people, the atmosphere, everything. And I finally started working at the country club, although since the weather has been so crappy, I've been rained out a few times. I'm only working outside at the tiki bar this summer, so when the pool is closed, my shift gets canceled. Oh well. I'm learning how to make some cool drinks, and today I actually had some fun! Then, this past Thursday I started my "internship" (if you can even call it that) at the medical research center. I'll only be working there one day a week, and I'm basically just shadowing this guy around. It is also volunteer. This past week it was pretty boring, because apparently they are having a slow period right now. Go figure. I just sat at a computer and entered data into Excel for about 5 hours - woot. :) And that is pretty much my life right now...working, interning, and volunteering.

Lately I have realized that the only times I feel close to God are when I am struggling with something. I fall so easily into the mindset that everything is just hunky-dorey with me and God when my life is running smoothly, but you know what? That's not always the case. It's like I almost get prideful of my dependence on him when I am going through a trial, but then when the trial is over, I stop turning to him but maintain the mindset that I am. Does that make sense? Well, I feel like now is one of those periods in which I do not "need" to depend on him, because nothing is going particularly wrong in my life. Yet up until a couple days ago, I just assumed that I was still going strong spiritually (kind of as leftovers from my last major "trial")- without ever taking the time to realize that in fact, I have been slipping away. :/ It's just something I need to work on.

Lisey, it was so wonderful to have you here this past week. I just love our friendship so much, and I love how we actually have memories together that go back a number of years! Hannah, I'll be praying for you as you start to get short-timers coming down. I'm really excited for all that you will experience this summer! And Katie, I will continue to pray for you and your ministry to the college students in Rome. I've loved hearing about everything you are doing there, and I just know that God is doing amazing things through you.

I love you all VERY much, and even though I'm still a little bitter that you left me alone this summer, I think I will get over it. :) You are incredible women.

Always,
Heather Grace

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i know exactly what you mean about always thinking things are good with you and God if your life is pretty smooth. routine is the biggest spiritual killer next to apathy (which routine inevitably leads to) in my life. dunno if that helps, but you're not alone and preaching to the choir (or me anyway). I love and miss you very much, Heathie. I love our friendship too =)Last week was wonderful!