Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Some fun facts about Italia

1. Graffiti is an Italian word, which makes sense, because it is everywhere. Only the churches and ruins are sacred enough to not be covered in graffiti. Some of the graffiti is really awesome.... I would post pictures but...
2. The slots for SD cards are different in computers here. I have yet to find an internet cafe that will allow me to upload pictures. I'm working on it.
3. There are some weird trends here. My fave? Bubble pants. They wear them with such confidence. But they look soooo ridiculous. They're like gauchos with elastic around the knee or ankle, and sometimes the crotch comes down really low so they look like Jeannie (as in I dream of...) Here's a picture that kind of shows it...

4. They call it a bar if it has an actual bar. So if an Italian asks you to go to the bar, it could mean for coffee, beer, a sandwich, gelato, etc.
5. There is no free water in restaurants. You must pay for bottled water. At the restaurant we went to last night, we had to pay €1 for a pitcher of tap water.
6. Mexican restaurants in Rome are not very good. The spell tacos: tachos, and they don't have quesadillas, and fajitas are basically just a heaping skillet full of meat. Also, they serve pizza and pasta there. Now, normally, I wouldn't think of going to a Mexican Restaurant in Rome, but seriously, pizza and pasta get old fast.
8. They dig Erasmus. Whenever we meet students, usually the first question is "Are you Erasmus?" Which basically means, "Are you a foreign exchange student?) I'm not exactly sure who Erasmus was, but they like him.
7. Oop! More Poop! There is dog poop everywhere. I don't think they clean the streets here.

That's all I've got for now...

If your name is Elisa or Heather, please email me your address. Being ever unprepared, I didn't bring adresses. Hannah, I would send you a post card, but I don't think it would reach you before you leave, and I know it would never get to Mexico (Enjoy a tacho for me).

Love,

Kate

No comments: