Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Feliz Verano! (de la chica de los flores)

First, and probably least importantly, I want to share that I am currently listening to Cindy and Sandy cheer on the Cavs downstairs. That's for you, Katie. Nothing screams home like those two yelling in unusually loud voices, "...Defense, defense. Grab it! Go! (-Cindy) Lebron, you cannot do that (-Steve). Yes! DEFENSE! Let's go, Cavs! You're a good team! (-Sandy)..." And now, Sandy is asking God for help. Needless to say, it's an exciting game (which I am not actually watching). :D

Okay, secondly, I am so sorry for my hiatus in blogging. Sure, I was busy with end-of-the-year festivities and exams, but that's not really an excuse. I think I might have forgotten about this blog. Sorry. I promise you didn't miss anything too thrilling in my life in those weeks.

Third...happy summer!! I can't believe I'm finally home, the year is over, and I only have ONE SEMESTER left of college! :O That hasn't really set in yet. I think maybe once everyone leaves me and I start getting bored, then I will realize that it's summer [forgive the cynicism]. On a happier note, I start my internship tomorrow! I'm pretty excited, for a number of reasons: I'll get to work in a professional setting, it's something totally new, I get to use my mad research skills for a significant purpose, I'll meet new people...and I won't spend my whole summer at a crappy part-time job! Yay. This also means that I have to start going to bed at like 11pm and waking up at 7am, but I think I can handle it. I've had almost a week of "real" summer, and I'm glad that I will actually be doing something with my time from now on, instead of sitting around every day and being a blob.

Today was my first day of nannying, which I will only be doing once a week, but it wore me out. I love the kids and they love me, which is perhaps why they get so wound up whenever I come over. It will be good to have variety in my week and not be at an office every day, but it will definitely be a test of my patience with kids. As many of you know, I am not a huge kids person, and hanging out with them does not come naturally to me. But, I chose to nanny these specific kids this summer because I've babysat them for years, and they are truly two of the only kids that I really enjoy being with. But even though I love them, it is still really draining on me physically and emotionally (they do not watch tv, by their own choice, and literally go go go the entire 7 hours I am there). I'm not complaining, I am just saying that this job will be a...stretching...experience this summer. :)

Spiritually, God has been putting some big ideas in my head lately. I feel like my thinking is being transformed - mostly about money and ways to use my money that is truly pleasing to God. I won't go into all the details tonight, because it could go on for awhile. But basically, I am feeling really convicted about my lifestyle and how sheltered it has been from any brush with poverty or people living in poverty. I know some of this is not my fault and can't be controlled, but I'm starting to just feel this overwhelming compassion for the poor and for people (in the US and abroad) who are forced into poverty without any choice. Without any of it being their fault. Aren't we called to love them, feed them, clothe them? I'm starting to see that giving money to missionaries and mission organizations is not necessarily what Jesus was talking about when he gave us those commands. (Matthew 6, 19, 24: 31-46) Giving to them from the distance of my very comfortable life only makes me more satisfied with myself, without actually following Christ's example of living with the needy. I haven't yet fully processed these ideas, I just know that they are on my mind for a reason...

Anyway, I need to go to bed so I can wake up bright and early! Buenos noches, mis amigas! Se amo mucho!

Always,
Heather

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha, Hannah and I were cracking up at the Cindy/Sandy game watching explanation. We read it to Cindy and she was dying laughing. Oh Heathie, you slay me :)