Tuesday, December 1, 2009

just a boring update

So I don't really have anything to say, which typically means that I do, but I don't know it yet. So congratulations to all of you who get to hear me think out loud.

Thanksgiving was chaotic this year. People keep asking how it was and I keep wanting to say, "Great!" but am never able to, so instead I pause awkwardly and say, "Uh, it was, uh, good. Yeah, it was good." And then people ask how it really was (although I frankly think my response is pretty clear that I don't want to discuss it), and I'm not sure what to say and I walk away wondering why I couldn't just smile and say, "Great! How was yours?"

My Thanksgiving was not miserable. It really was very good to see my family and a friend or two. But it was not relaxing either. A 6am drive home to see seven international students at our house Thanksgiving (wonderfully entertaining, but so exhausting); a doctor's appointment on Friday (not helpful), as well as a Providence reunion at my house (great, but I got mad for no reason and freaked everyone out); a crazy, busy family-day picking out a tree and seeing a play on Saturday; a bizarre church service (Pastor B mentioned both "bling" and "grills" during the service...oh dear) and a long drive home on Sunday (Matt and I actually did get to relax and see 500 Days of Summer that night too, but neither of us liked it--Kate and Han, we need to talk :) ). I'm not sure you all needed a play-by-play of my weekend, but I warned you I had nothing to say. Anyway, I guess my point is that the biggest thing that came out of my time off was a huge pile of longing for Christmas break to get here already. I've been so moody this semester, especially as we approach break. I'm not sure what it is, but my patience is wearing thin and I find myself only wanting to be around a select number of people. Am I just an anti-social jerk? Is this some sort of season? Should I just get over myself and smile? I'm not sure why, but I've been so dissatisfied with so much lately. Any direction on this front would be helpful. I listened to a sermon on contentment, but it was mostly about finances, and that's not really the trouble. I'm not sure what is.

Well ladies, as usual, bottom line is I miss you three a lot. I can't wait for a break when I can spend real time with each of you and not just time when I'm packing or hosting. In the meantime, I've been pondering these verses:

I know your deeds; you have a reputation for being alive, but you are dead. Wake up! Strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have not found your deeds complete in the sight of my God.
-Revelation 3:1b-2

Peace,
elisa

No comments: