Saturday, December 19, 2009

Don't call me Ebenezer...

So, maybe after reading my last blog, you thought I was completely devoid of Christmas spirit.
I'd like to think that I'm not completely bitter. So, maybe, for the sake of my own spiritual walk, I will do everything in my power to ensure that I will NEVER again work retail over the holidays. But all in all, as Christmas approaches, I'm getting really excited! I feel like I've learned a lot about the significance of Christmas this year, and the Lord is showing me through this approaching holiday how faithful he is to keeping his promises!

And, in the spirit of things, I think I have a new favorite Christmas carol. For years, I've been split between The Christmas Song (Chestnuts roasting...) and, Oh Come Oh Come Immanuel. The first, because I'm a sucker for Bing Crosby, and the second, because I like singing "rejoice!" in my upper register. Both dumb reasons for a Christmas carol to me my favorite. This year, I can't get enough of O Holy Night. Seriously, I'm in love with the lyrics. They pretty much sum up the importance of Christmas.

O holy night! The stars are brightly shining,
It is the night of Our dear Saviour's birth.
Long lay the world In sin and error pining,
'Til He appear'd And the soul felt its worth.
A thrill of hope The weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks A new and glorious morn.
Fall on your knees! O, hear the angels' voices!
O night divine, O night when Christ was born;
O night divine, O night, O night Divine.
Led by the light of Faith serenely beaming,
With glowing hearts By His cradle we stand.
So led by light of A star sweetly gleaming,
Here come the wise men From Orient land.
The King of Kings Lay thus in lowly manger;
In all our trials Born to be our friend.
He knows our need, To our weakness is no stranger,
Behold your King! Before Him lowly bend!
Behold your King, Before Him lowly bend!
Truly He taught us To love one another;
His law is love And His gospel is peace.
Chains shall He break For the slave is our brother;
And in His name All oppression shall cease.
Sweet hymns of joy In grateful chorus raise we,
Let all within us Praise His holy name.
Christ is the Lord! O praise His Name forever,
His power and glory Evermore proclaim.
His power and glory Evermore proclaim.


I'm in love with how in three verses, it tells us how we were before Christ, how he came, and what we ought to do about it. THAT is Christmas spirit.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Agreed. O Holy Night is definitely among my top 3 Christmas songs. I can't really identify the other 2 at this moment, but I just know that O Holy Night is up there. :)

Toby said...

I really love O Holy Night, but it's really not the same when it's sung by any other performer than this one one:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk4woNRD7NQ

That is vocal prowess my friends.

C. Beth said...

Love that song (though it's hard to sing it well!) That verse really is awesome; thanks for reminding me to listen to what the lyrics say!

I'm giving you another One-Minute Writing of the Day award, Kate, for your 12/13 response. Congrats!

Beth