Monday, February 22, 2010

Takeoffs and Landings

Hi friends. I decided it was time for me to contribute to this blog after my month-long absence (at least). I haven't been writing much because I've been able to talk with each of you recently, and you all know the updates with my life. Which I am very glad about, by the way! :) But for those of you who are not in the loop (meaning you probably don't really care that much), I will give you my beadybeady update...

First of all, as of January 30th, I am a COLLEGE GRADUATE!! J-term went extremely well, with a class that fit in precisely with my current situation (job search strategies, interview tips, job possibilities with a BA in psychology, etc.), and I got to spend a nice amount of time just hanging out with my college friends. Then, on January 24th, I moved home! I was home for just a week, and then I went to St. Paul, MN for two weeks. In that time, I stayed pretty busy with informational interviews, more networking, a few real interviews, and spending time with Toby. Overall, it was a really productive trip, and I think I was able to make the most of my time there. The most exciting thing that happened was that I got called for an interview for a job that I would really love! The position is as a Research Analyst with the St. Paul Public School System - basically working with different sets of testing data for the kids, evaluating special programs, looking at trends in gender/race/income, and making suggestions for improvement. I know how boring this sounds to most of you, but for me, it would be a really good fit! :) I felt like the interview went well, but I have no idea what the other interviewees are like, so I'm not holding my breath that they offer me a job. But, it was a really great experience to be called for an interview and go through that whole process. (By the way, I should be hearing from them this week if I got it.)

I'm still applying for jobs and also waiting to hear back about a few other opportunities. I met with a temp agency in MN, and there is a possibility that I could be offered a direct hire job with a Market Research firm through that. Oh! Another thing: I had an interview for a job working in a group home with people with developmental disabilities, and they did offer me the job. The thing is that it's definitely not my first choice (I'd really prefer something in research), so I told them that I'm waiting to hear back about a few other possibilities. They were really nice about it, and said that if I ever needed a part-time job I should let them know. I think if nothing else works out, I would be able to contact the HR person for that organization and she would give me a full-time job. So, I guess that's just good to know!

Let me tell you, it's weird to be unemployed. I am no longer a student, but I'm not working either. I don't want to try and work full or part-time here (in Ohio) because I don't want to start making a new life here when I have every intention of moving. It would be nice to make some extra cash, but my goal is to move within the next month, so job searching in Minnesota is my top priority. On a daily basis, though, I have no real purpose in life. I can pretty much do anything I want with my time, which is awesome in a way, but it's also starting to get old. I'm reading a lot, spending lots of time with Hannah and Katie, and hanging out with my parents, but besides that I don't do a whole lot! I'm SO eager to move and be living in MN, and also, it's not very fun to have an extended Christmas break all by yourself. Let me know if you have any ideas of what I should be doing with my free time! :)

I wish you all a wonderful week!

Love,
Heather Grace

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should pick up a hobby. Start making jewelry or make Kate teach you how to knit or make up dance routines :) Or you could whittle. That'd be pretty awesome.