Friday, February 5, 2010

Hope that doesn't make sense

I probably speak for all of you when I say that my heart is broken over what has happened and is happening in Haiti. I believe firmly in a God who loves and protects his people, who is merciful and also just, and who is so, so good. My brain can only comprehend the earthquake in Haiti as a horrible tragedy, but I know that if God is good, which he is, he can only work this situation for good.
Since the quake, I have struggled with how to even pray for Haiti. It's a whole country, with people who are being profoundly impacted by what has happened. And yet, I have no way to begin to understand what they are going through. I went to bed last night, far too late, simply because I felt like surfing the internet for a while. And when I feel asleep, I was not wondering if my roof might collapse on me during the night. I did not hear gun shots outside my window and wonder how far off they were. I did not even think that there may be a chance that I may not ever get to see any of my friends or family again. I take my security for granted, to be sure. Am I willing to give it up? At this point, I can honestly say that yes, I will give up my safe home and my comfortable bed to serve the Lord, though I admit that I am in no way prepared for that and have no way to know what it will really be like. I get a pit in my stomach just thinking about it.
If you're like me, and have no idea how to pray for people in a circumstance that is so far from your daily experience, I would encourage you to head on over to Brian and Sarah's blog. I know not all the readers here know Brian and Sarah Bennetch very well. But they have been in Haiti for just over a week, and are posting almost daily. It has given me some perspective, although still limited, and has made my prayers more purposeful. For me, the bottom line is that we have brothers and sisters in Haiti and even though we've never met them, they need our prayers, insufficient as they may be.

"I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. The creation waits in eager expectation for the sons of God to be revealed. For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God.

We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.

In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will."

Romans 8:18-27


No comments: