Friday, August 20, 2010

Vacation

Thoughts from my vacation:

It's rainy and cold today, which is why I am blogging on vacation.
This is the first time that I have felt cold all summer.
It seems like the leaves turn colors earlier in the Upper Peninsula, which is making me long for autumn.
Where we are, there aren't many paved roads. They are made of sand. Red sand.
In case you were wondering, biking on sand is a great work out.
Small towns are proud of funny things, like murders that happened 50 years ago, and movies that were once filmed in the local bar.
In small towns, the mayor can (and does) drink shots with the best of 'em.
I have met more Presbyterians in the past 3 days than I ever remember meeting. They are nice folks.
Cottage cheese in pancakes is surprisingly delicious.
I like getting massages.
When you turn 21, sometimes random people you don't know try to convince you to drink alcohol.
Bed & Breakfasts are funny places where almost no one is under the age of 50.
People over 50 don't like climbing ladders into the tops of lighthouses, which means that I get the lighthouse balcony to myself most of the time. Of course that means I have to make friends with lots of spiders.
I stink at blacksmith puzzles.
When I sat down to start reading Jane Eyre, I discovered that the copy that I recently bought at Half Price Books for $1.25 is missing the first 10 pages. I think I went through all of the Kübler-Ross stages of grief over the course of the 10 minutes following this discovery.
Dill Pickle Pringles are SO good. Trust me.
Weather on a lake can change really quickly. Oh wait, I've always known that.
After a busy crazy summer, this vacation is exactly what I needed.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Kate, I can make you some pancakes with cottage cheese in them that will rock your world...or at least taste pretty good. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to hear all of this on your birthday! Hope the day has been awesome!! :)