Wednesday, August 25, 2010

feeling artsy

So, since not all of us beady sisters can afford to have a snazzy, shiny, white, beautiful macbook, some of us have kind of grungy computers. I've had mine for about 3 years, and the wear and tear was starting to get visible. I never really kept my computer in a sleeve or protected it. The outside of it was pretty dinged up. So, I started thinking maybe it was time for a makeover for Akiba (which I lovingly named my computer...). I had the idea of basically wallpapering my computer. But after giving it some thought, I decided maybe mod podge was the ticket.
Here's what I did:
This was very experimental. Hannah Grace Fischer had a lot of input.

I bought some handmade wrapping paper from World Market. I thought about wall paper, scrapbook paper, small art posters, etc. But wrapping paper seemed like the best option size wise and price wise. Plus, there were lots of fun options.

I saran wrapped my keyboard, to protect Akiba's ability to function.


I then closed up the lid, mod podged the area that I planned to cover with paper, and layed down the paper (beforehand, I cut a piece of paper that was about the same size as the top of my computer). I attempted to smooth the surface with my no longer needed Viking ID. I then used an exacto knife to cut around the edges to make them clean. Then I started painting on coats of mod podge. I alternated between horizontal and vertical coats. I did about 4 or 5 coats total. I still think I might do a few more.
Honestly, this project was scary. Hannah was there. She can attest to that. I felt like I was a vandal. Like I was defacing something. I felt terrified that it would go wrong and I would end up with a computer that I would be ashamed to take to coffee shops and libraries. Even while it was drying I was worried. But now that it's dry, I'm pretty happy with it. It's fun and different. I don't think I'll be running into anyone else whose computer looks like mine anytime soon.
Some notes to anyone who would try this at home:

My computer is not flat and doesn't have straight lines. I think it would be easier if it had straight lines.
When you use a credit card or something to smooth out the bubbles, act fast. I ran into the mod podge drying quicker than I could smooth it out, so there are wrinkles. I think other factors contributing to the wrinkles were the handmade paper (it soaked up the mod podge pretty quickly and didn't budge after a few seconds. regular wallpaper would have been a little easier) and the shape of my computer (the fact that the surface of it has contour makes it harder to make it flat and smooth).
Be sure that you want to do it. I don't think it's ever coming off. Though maybe, someday, if I get sick of this one, I'll just mod podge another right on top of this one!

That's all! I had fun!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh this is so cool!!!!!! I want to do it!!! You are so crafty, Kite! :)

Michelle said...

I LOVE Mod Podge.