Thursday, January 14, 2010

The latest from a soon to be college GRAD!

I don’t know if you remember me, but I’m Heather Grace, 21 almost 22-year-old girl (woman?), psychology student in Indiana, lover of dance and edamame. I feel the need to introduce myself because some of you blog readers may have forgotten about me due to my lack of beady-activity in the last few months. Wow, so much and also so little has happened since I last blogged. So much time has passed, Christmas has come and gone, and yet I feel very similar to how I felt back in November. I am now 13 days away from being a college graduate, I still don’t have a job lined up, and I still don’t know what I want to do with my life. Sound familiar? Well, it is.

I’ve been trying to make the most of my last few weeks at Taylor, but I’m finding it very hard to do. I am overwhelmed with an anxious, unsettled feeling - the desire to get out and move on. Most of you readers probably know the reason behind this feeling, and for those of you who don’t, feel free to ask. But it’s not only the boy that is the cause of this anxiousness, no, it is also the lack of comfort I feel here. I no longer feel a part of this community. Not in my classes, around campus, the dining commons, my job, or even my apartment. I just don’t belong here anymore. I think what I’m seeking is a lot of different things, but they are all wrapped up in the idea of moving to Minnesota. I’m seeking independence, job experience, friendship, a new church, a place to volunteer, love, warmth, understanding, and the freedom to be myself again. I’m so excited by the thought of starting over again, it’s the feeling I had before going away to college and also after every time I moved to a new place growing up. Maybe this is just how I am wired – I need significant change about every four years. Who knows?

This brings me to the present. What are my plans now, you may ask? Excellent question. Once I am officially done with school, I will move home for about a week, and then I am going to Minneapolis for two weeks. In that time, I have one job interview, a meeting with a temp-to-hire agency, and three other meetings with various people to “network.” I’m also planning on looking at apartments (I might have a possible lead on this topic) and trying to figure out a living situation. And of course I will spend any leftover time (okay, MOST of my time) with Toby. :) Then, I’ll come back home for a week or two, and I’m hoping by then I will have a job! In reality, I’m pretty hopeful that this job interview will become an actual job, and I can do this along with a possible part-time job for extra cash. We shall see…

Okay, that’s all I have for now. I hope to see at least two of you very soon, and Lisey, we’ll have to figure something out before I move across the Midwest! I love you much, my sisters.

Heather Grace

2 comments:

Unknown said...

PS: Where is Lisey in our picture??

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's symbolic. I'm slowly fading out of all of your lives...
Ok, no, definitely not it.